WordPress is currently the most used platform to create websites and blogs. It’s a highly powerful CMS that has power to make awesome looking websites without knowing any code. In these article you will learn how to optimize a WordPress website from beginning. Here I have explained everything you need to do after you install WordPress. Let’s get started,
#1. Change Title, Tagline, Favicon
The identify of your website depend upon the Title of your website and Tagline gives your website a professionalism and favicon is also way to stand up in the crowd. For changing your blogs Title and Tagline, click on Settings >> General and then change tagline you like it to be. For changing the Favicon, its harder thing to do. First open Dashboard >> Themes >> Editor >> Header.php add the bellow code to there and click update.
<link rel=””shortcut” icon=”icon” type=””image/x-icon”” href=””favicon.ico””></link>
#2. Edit Permalink Structure
This is SEO (Search Engine Optimization) trick to get Seo friendly permalink structure to your blog links. This is the most important thing to get traffic. The most common permalink structure is post name itself. Firstly, click on Settings >> Permalinks in your WordPress Admin Panel and change your permalink.
#3. Select A Theme
There will be a default theme in WordPress after the installation. If you want to make your site beautiful & attractive you must change your theme and choose a appropriate theme. You must always remember to use theme that is Responsive, Seo Friendly & easy customizable. For installing a theme you need to visit WordPress panel >> Appearance >> Themes , if you want to install the themes available on WordPress click Add New and if you thinking to upload a new theme that isn’t available on WordPress themes then click Add new and Upload the theme.
#4. Installing Needed Plugins
Plugins are the most important and attractive part of WordPress. If there wasn’t a feature of plugins the non-coders will not be having their own sites. The most important and the must have plugins are,
* WordPress SEO by Yoast : A complete SEO solution for your website. You need not to worry about on-page SEO after installing these plugin. There is also a premium version plugin of this plugin. This is one of the plugins that have highest rating.
* WP – SpamSheild Anti-Spam : The best anti spam plugin for saving your blog from spammers. Spam comments are one of the most dangerous things that a webmaster worry about but after using this plugin no spams will enter into your site.
* W3 Total Cache : This plugin helps to improve the speed of your website and to enhance the user interference by caching. The plugin creates cache of a website and then the speed of the website increases.
* Contact form 7 : For the smooth working of a site user and the administer must have a communication. This plugin is used to make a contact page where the visitor could contact with the admin. It may be sharing a tip or asking doubt or it can be a complaint also.
* Backup WordPress : The backup WordPress is a free backup plugin to backup your entire website. This is a safety precaution for making your site safe from accidental errors.
The above given are the most important and essential plugins that every one should use there are many alternate plugins but you must always have plugins on following categories:
* Contact form
#5. Change the Time zone
You must change the time zone of your website. This is very important that while scheduling your the post for publication. For changing the time zone you must go to Settings >> General >> Timezone and then choose your country’s time zone.
#6. Change Your Domain Address
Don’t get confused after reading the title, in this step you are going to set a preferred domain address. The default address will be in such a way “http://www.google.com” but when you change it to http://google.com by removing the WWW will help you to get some traffic because this is SEO friendly URL. This is not a must thing but doing these is better and helpful. Firstly, go to settings >> General then just remove the WWW and the click save.
#7. Disable HTML comments in WordPress Comments
HTML comments is a vulnerability that could be reason for a hack attack. For protecting your blog from hackers you must use this method to disable HTML comments. For disabling the HTML comment you need add the following lines in your FUNCTION.PHP file
add_filter( ‘pre_comment_content’, ‘wp_specialchars’);
#8. Create Pages